Course Description: This course will introduce participants to the concept and practice of self-compassion. It is specifically designed to support the cultivation of self-compassion for nurses in response to adversity. This offering is experiential and will be supported by research and grounded in the overarching foundational practices of compassion, lovingkindness and mindfulness. It will explore the difference between self-care and self-compassion as well as reveal new understandings regarding “compassion fatigue.” It will also examine obstacles to enacting self-compassion, and review how self-compassion fosters resilience and acts as a protective factor against burnout and vicarious trauma.
This course is approved by the ANCC (American Nurses Credentialing Center) for 50 CNE’s
Duration: May – June 2022
Format: Interactives live virtual classes; for those unable to attend class(es), recordings will be available
Course Begins: Thursday, May 5 at 1600 AT (1500 ET)
Course Dates: May 5,19, 26 and June 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30
Course Time: 1600-1800 AT // (May 26 and June 23 class will run from1600-1830)
Prerequisites: LPN, RN/RPN & NP
Course Language: English
Price: $597 CAD + tax
Students enrolled in this training will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components of self-compassion.
- Understand the difference between self-care and self-compassion.
- Understand how self-compassion is related to the broader concept of compassion and associated practices of mindfulness and lovingkindness.
- Understand the importance of self-awareness and the necessity of permitting oneself to engage in acts of self-compassion as a means of mitigating the effects of emotional dis-ease associated with burnout and vicarious trauma.
- Understand how the practice of self-compassion works to foster resilience.
- Articulate the difference between compassion, self-compassion, and empathy and understand how they are interrelated and distinct in the context of self-compassion cultivation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current research regarding compassion fatigue, the role of empathy in this context, and the preventative role that self-compassion plays.
- Demonstrate understanding of, and an ability to enact, various practices designed to cultivate self-compassion.
- Discover and articulate their own unique compassionate voice.
- Complete a project to identify how self-compassion can be used as a tool for overcoming adversity in one’s life and in one’s practice.